Thursday 17 December 2020

Summer Learning Journey - Celebrating Summer - Week 1 Day 3 - Tānerore

Welcome back to my Summer Learning Journey.  I am super excited about this activity.  There are two parts.

KICK START

We get to create our own kowhaiwhai pattern using the following template.  


Do you know who Tānerore is? He is the son of Tama-nui-te-ra, he looks like shimmering air as he performs a haka for his mother Hine-raumati.  
When the land is so hot the air shimmers, this is when Tānerore is performing his haka.

I had to create my own kowhaiwhai with a repeating pattern, then using some colours in the background that represented Tānerore/Summer.  Here is my creation.

I used the repeating pattern as a representation of the summer's breeze.  I chose the gradient colours of red, orange and yellow to represent a summers sunset. 

The second part of this activity is
STEP IT UP 

Using the following template I am going to create another kowhaiwhai, which is different to the first one.  


Here is my creation, using the above template.


For this kowhaiwhai I used the Koru and the blue in gradient to represent the ocean and waves crashing into each other. To represent the trees and land I used Kape and the green in the gradient.
Green trees and the ocean remind me of our Summer holidays at the beach in Mahia.

I really enjoyed creating both of these kowhaiwhai patterns.  Do you see how they represent Summer?

Thanks for checking out my blog.
Check back soon for my next activity.

Blog you later!

5 comments:

  1. Morning Maddison.

    WOW!!! What creative work you have done. The colours you have chosen are great representation of Summer. I enjoyed reading your explanations for both of your kowhaiwhai patterns. Looks like you had lots of fun creating these.

    Have you thought of making some to represent the other seasons of the year??

    Awesome work
    Mum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Afternoon Mum

      What a great idea. If I get some extra time I might just make some. I had lots of fun. My favourite part was choosing the colours for the gradient to represent the different parts of Summer.

      Thanks Mum
      Maddison

      Delete
  2. Mōrena Maddison,

    It’s Charlotte here, a commenter for the Manaiakalani Summer Learning Journey. The Kowhaiwhai patterns that you designed are amazing!

    I really like how you have included the meaning behind the backgrounds that you chose for each of your Kowhaiwhai patterns! I think that all Kowhaiwhai patterns are so beautiful, had you seen many of them before this activity?

    I have marked this post down as an ‘Outstanding post’ because I have been so impressed with your work! This means you will be getting extra for this post!

    Ngā mihi nui
    Charlotte
    Summer Learning Journey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Afternoon Charlotte,

      WOW!!! I never expected that. That means so much to me that you think my work is outstanding. I had so much fun creating these. I have only seen a few from the blog posts from the Summer Learning Journey. Yes I agree they are beautiful patterns to create. I am sure I will make more.

      Thanks for checking out my blog.
      Maddison.

      Delete
    2. Kia Ora Maddison,

      You are so welcome! I look forward to see more of your posts in the future!

      Ngā mihi nui
      Charlotte
      Summer Learning Journey

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.